At our core, Democrats believe in people: poor and wealthy, old and young, woman and man, immigrant and American born. We believe that this is America’s strength: that different people unite, working together for the good of each and for the good of all. We believe that government’s role is to protect the people, and ensure justice, freedom and equal opportunity. And we believe that by standing firm on these values, California and America can reclaim our vision as a land of optimism and unity. Our nation was built on the belief that hard-working Americans will be rewarded with economic prosperity. The working families of California deserve a government that supports their hard work and shares their hope for the future. Given the enduring values of California Democrats, we are committed to programs that safeguard and ensure:
- Smart, sustainable, safe, caring communities. We will reinvigorate the economy and reinvest in our communities to provide for the common good. We are committed to policies to stabilize energy costs and maximize alternative energy resources and conservation. We support the right for working Americans to organize and unionize to create better lives for their families. We will promote real tax relief for families and individuals and will work to reduce unemployment and create new jobs.
- Quality public education as a fundamental right. Democrats strive to extend opportunities and access to all by making California’s schools the best in the nation.
- Affordable healthcare for working families, and Social Security and Medicare for future generations. We vigorously support full access for people with disabilities. Democrats will protect family leave and health care benefits and safeguard the well-being of our families by supporting every person’s right to choose when and how to create a family.
- Fiscal common sense and responsibility on the part of our elected leaders. We will restore the confidence of the people in the integrity of their government.
- Real diplomacy as the foundation of our foreign policy. We strive for peace and stand strong in defense of our nation because we recognize the interdependence of all people. We will work for the swift and safe return of our troops in Iraq and provide our veterans with responsible health care and support on their return.
- The constitutional rights of all Americans. In any circumstances, including in times of war and while we challenge terrorism, we are mindful that we cannot prevail in any conflict in which we compromise our democratic principles.
- Protection from the terrible forces of discrimination and hate.
As Democrats, we will advocate for the enactment, continuance, and enforcement of civil rights, equal justice, and equal opportunity.